The historic San Diego police headquarters was built in 1939. The facility was expanded in the 1950's and abandoned in 1987. Preservation supporters were successful in adding the property to the National Register of Historic Places, quashing any plans to demolish the site. In 2008, planning to rehabilitate the site into a shopping, dining and entertainment destination began. The restored and re-purposed site opened in November of 2013 as The Headquarters at Seaport District.